If you get pulled over while driving, it can be a frightening experience. Whether you’ve never broken the law before, or even if you currently have a warrant out for your arrest, there are certain things you should keep in mind if pulled over by the police.
What Should You Do If You Get Pulled Over While Driving?
If you’re unfamiliar with how to interact with law enforcement, you might make some mistakes. Especially if you’re nervous or anxious… which you probably will be if you just got pulled over. Some of the things that you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Stay inside your car and don’t make any sudden or abrupt movements. Only get out of you car if requested by the police.
- Only move slowly and try to keep your hands visible. Don’t make sudden movements, especially if needing to get your insurance from your glove compartment.
- Respond to any lawful and legal requests by the officer. If asked to get out of the car, do so, but slowly. Any requested paperwork, hand over slowly also.
- Announce anything that you’re doing or going to do. Try to avoid anything that could come across as threatening. If you need to lower your window, do so only enough to hear.
- If asked to search your car or person, you can politely decline. You don’t need to give permission for search.
- You are allowed to state that you wish to remain silent. You are allowed to give information that’s requested by the police, but anything that might incriminate you, you can remain silent.
- The lesson here is, it’s better to be safe. While there are many good cops out there, there are also police that could be nervous or anxious about the traffic stop. Behaving in these ways will protect you and anyone in the car, legally and also assure them that you’re not a threat.
Just remember, most police officers understand and are trained to remember that getting pulled over can be stressful. And in many areas, the police will have body cams or dash cams, so there will be a record of what happens. Be as compliant as possible without incriminating yourself.
Contact us at Dennis Blackwell Bail Bonds of Colorado Springs to get help through this process. Call today!